Taking care of our teeth is something that takes a lifetime of work—and as with anything, you get out what you put in! Practicing proper oral health habits every day can help keep your teeth healthy and even prevent future problems.
What are some of the best ways to ensure you stop oral health issues before they arise? Continue reading to find out.
1. Drink water—a lot of it! Water isn’t just the best beverage for your overall health, it’s also the best for your oral health. Drinking water after every meal can help rinse away left behind debris that might be sticky or acidic.
2. Don’t forget your tongue. Did you know that plaque buildup can happen on your tongue? This can lead to unpleasant breath and other oral health problems. Brush your tongue gently each morning and night.
3. Always brush before bed. While it’s equally important to brush in the morning as well, brushing before bed is a necessity to rid your mouth of unnecessary bacteria or leftover food from the day before you fall into an eight-hour slumber.
4. Don’t make flossing difficult. For young children and older adults, flossing might be hard. However, consider getting a ready-to-use dental flosser from your local supermarket.
5. Visit our practice at least twice each year. Even if you practice perfect oral health habits, it’s still important to make routine care with us a regular part of your maintenance. We’ll give your teeth an in-depth cleaning as well as an exam to rule out any dental problems that may be on the rise.
If it’s time for your next visit, give us a call.
Note: All content and media on the My Dentist website and social media channels are created and published online for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice.